Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Honest

I love honesty. I love it, love it, love it. By the way, I don't think honesty is an excuse for, or the same thing as, excessive bluntness. I think honesty is commendable; excessive bluntness is not. I think the difference between the two is that honesty is not selfish while excessive bluntness is. 


I love honesty for this very reason...it's totally unselfish. When we lie to others, we gain the upper hand. We know something that they don't know. We diminish them. 


On the other hand, when we are honest with others, we put ourselves at their mercy. Who knows how they will handle the truth and how that will affect us? But it's more important to give them knowledge than to worry about the consequences for us. 


I think honesty is especially commendable because...it's so easy to lie. There are so many opportunities to lie, lying is so easy to do, and lying is easy to get away with. Honesty requires great self-control and unselfishness. 


I also don't believe in omitting the truth. That is, not saying anything when you know that the other person wrongly believes something. This may or may not be considered lying, but it's definitely selfish. 


Finally, white lies. This is a gray area for me. While lying is always bad, sometimes it's necessary for the greater good. Thus, white lies can be okay. But I think white lies should only be used sparingly and in extreme circumstances. I think it's easy to get into the habit of telling white lies often. I think it's usually ultimately better to tell the truth.


I'm passionate about honesty!

No comments:

Post a Comment