Friday, May 19, 2017

Starting from the Bible

In all this time that I've been talking and thinking about patience, I've hardly thought about what the Bible says about it.


Which is weird, because the Bible is the foundation for how I approach everything. I believe everything in the Bible to be true, and as I just said, it is the foundation for how I live life.


So maybe that's why I've been feeling so off this whole time I've been thinking about patience. I didn't start with the Bible as my foundation, as I normally would have for something like this. I can only conclude that this is because patience is a concept I really resist, or something.


So now I've forced myself to think about what the Bible says about patience.


The Bible clearly considers patience important. It's mentioned all over the Bible.


The Bible also instructs us to be patient. Patience is an action, something we must consciously try to do, a muscle to be used.


On a personal application level, I take all of this to mean that...this is a clear sign I'm supposed to take patience seriously!


It's also a very noble feature. Patience is mentioned as one of God's characteristics, as love, and as one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.


In the past, there was a part of me that whenever I thought about patience, I just thought of a really boring, really old person, sitting around. It made me cringe. 


I don't know where I got this distorted idea/vision of patience from. My own immaturity, I suppose.


Now, when I think about patience, I hope to immediately think of it as something wonderful that brings joy to my heart...


I hope to see it as some combination of love, hope, faith, self-control, goodness...


I hope that what comes to mind is a wonderful person, lively and full of inner strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment