Sunday, April 9, 2017

My beauty routine 

I don't have much of a beauty routine (as in cleaning and preserving my skin, face, hair). This isn't because I don't care about my looks. I care about them. 


I just didn't find a beauty routine that worked for me...until now, maybe. 


After trial and experimentation, I think what works for me are using natural products. By natural, I mean, really natural. Like, things I could eat and that are not processed in any way. 


I just realized that my body doesn't respond that well to products that are loaded with chemicals. I don't know if my body is more sensitive than other people's. Maybe it is; I don't know. But this idea makes sense to me. Why would products with a lot of chemicals be good for our skin or hair? I mean, we all know that between eating an apple or instant noodles...the apple is better for us. Same for things we lather on our bodies, right? 


At this point, I kind of think that part of our problem with using so many chemicals in all of our beauty products is because big companies can make profits. They tell us that this is what works and is the best. Then our bodies get physically addicted to these products. 


I mean, they wouldn't make any money if people started using extra virgin olive oil as a cleanser and a moisturizer. 


Which is what I'm trying out now (extra virgin olive oil). It sounded gross at first, but I tried it, and it seems to work for me, so far. I've also tried shea butter (which is extracted from a nut). The kind of shea butter that I most like is very unrefined. It actually separated in the case (the top is white and hard, and the bottom is yellow and creamier).


At some point, I would like to stop washing my hair so often and only use minimal, natural products to wash it. We'll see how that goes...


Anyway, I'm not using natural products to be a hippie or counter-cultural. I'm using them because I think they make me look the best, they clean better, they're a lot healthier for me, and they're cheaper. 


I'm finally excited about my beauty routine, for once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment