Friday, April 21, 2017

Awhile ago, I talked about baking the office a blueberry pie. Just to be kind. 

Baking pies is not easy for me, and eating homemade pie is something I assume others like. So this is the kindest thing I can think of doing for people in the office, short of handing out cash or something.


I haven't done it yet. I've been thinking about it a lot.


I think a common misconception about kindness is that it means you have to be best friends with people, or at least, pretty friendly with them. I don't think that's what kindness is though. I think kindness means doing something beneficial for others, starting from a good place in your own heart.


Sometimes kindness doesn't look like anything at all. When you forgive people, that happens internally. And after you forgive people, you may even choose not to have any relationship with them. But as long as you're not harboring hateful thoughts towards people or numb to people for their injustices against you, then you have forgiven them. That's kind.


Sometimes kindness means taking action against people when they did something wrong to you, and sometimes this even means creating very unpleasant situations. If you're doing this purely to reach a place of honesty, and it's not revenge or lashing out at people, then that's kind. 


Sometimes kindness means that you're no more than acquaintances with people, because you don't have that friendship chemistry with them. But you're kind if you want to help improve their lives in some way, even if it costs you and doesn't benefit you.


People wonder what motivates me in life. The answer is...


This.

No comments:

Post a Comment