Saturday, November 5, 2016

I wanted to go to a stretching class. I didn't even know if they existed. I just felt like I needed it, for my body's sake. 

I walked into a stretching class this morning. I had no idea what to expect. 


It was a group class, but there were only three people in it (including me), and then the teacher. I was obviously a total newcomer. The other two students were familiar with the class. 


This was certainly a new experience for me...on many levels. It's a good thing I didn't have any expectations of what I was getting into. 


We ended up doing something called "resistance stretching." I don't know how to describe it. It feels like the opposite of weight lifting, kind of. Like you're exerting your muscles...but in a way that contracts them, and ends up giving them some elasticity? Something like that? I think it has value, though I have no idea how useful this will be for my particular case. But it certainly was a new experience! 


Also, I was a expecting a group class, where I could kind of blend into the background and follow the teacher or other students the whole time. Not so. It turned out to be more individual private sessions, with the whole class focusing on one person for about 15 minutes. I am not used to having so much attention on me in a group class. It makes me nervous! But I tried to relish it, and I did end up enjoying the individual attention. 


Finally, the individual sessions consisted of everyone putting their hands on the student that we were focusing on, to move his/her body in various ways to get the right kind of stretch for him/her. The whole time. I am not used to touching strangers, for such a long time, and moving their arms and legs so forcefully and in these odd positions. And vice versa. Yeah, I felt like this was too close for comfort initially, but then I got over it.


So I went out of my comfort zone and familiar territory, and that fact alone made the experience pretty fun and interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment