Monday, November 7, 2016

Biblical thoughts on rest

The Bible orders us to rest.

Why? 

For a lot of reasons. One of them is that God wants us to enjoy life! 

In many places in the Bible, rest is mentioned as being taken on the seventh day. Every seventh day, a day of COMPLETE rest.

(Of course, we don't have to follow the Bible literally in this sense. We're just supposed to follow the concept of rest. Depending on the circumstances of our lives, rest can be a daily thing, annual thing, every decade thing, whatever, and probably some combination of all that.)

Anyway, one of my reactions to this (total rest every seventh day) is...wow, that sounds like a lot of rest!

But then when I think about it some more...this amount of rest does seem to make a lot of sense. 

The more I reflect on this topic...

My takeaway is that rest is to be taken seriously, and in some abundance! 

I love it when the Bible reorients me and gives me the bigger perspective. The Bible does that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment