Friday, November 11, 2016

A homeless/begging man

A few days ago, I was driving my car. I stopped at a U-turn/left-turn light. On my left, on the median strip, was a man begging for money.

I thought of my earlier pledge to give the next homeless/begging person I saw a McDonald's gift certificate.

I've been looking for the opportunity ever since I wrote that post. So I was stopped at the stoplight, here was a man holding one of those "have a nice day/God bless you" signs...

I didn't know how much time I had - when the light would turn green. Without thinking too much, I hastily turned to my purse and fished out my gift certificate. I rolled down my window and gave it to him.

He looked really happy that I was giving him something, then puzzled as he took an actual look at what he was now holding in his hands. He was expecting a green bill. He unrolled the gift certificate, now he understood what I had given him, and I could tell he was pleased.

It was only one dollar. I wish I had given him more. 

After that, I actually felt really awkward. I had rolled up my window again. I didn't think there was anything else to do.

Then I got the feeling that he was looking at me and wanted to acknowledge me. So I turned my head to him quickly. It was very quick, because I was still feeling so awkward. We locked eyes for a very brief moment, as he smiled at me. His eyes were very blue.

He's really nice, I thought. 

I had only given him one dollar.

Then I turned my head back straight again and waited for the light to turn green.

When it turned green and I started my car to go away, out of the corner of my eye, I could see him...trying to acknowledge me one last time. Nodding his head at me or something. Something like that...I only saw out of the corner of my eye, because I was already driving my car and looking straight ahead.

I left that whole interaction feeling like...

Somehow...he was the one who had ended up giving me more.

Humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment