Friday, October 21, 2016

Pain

I see it in your eyes 
And yours 
It's not there at the surface 
But I see it, deeply etched 
So I know that pain is universal

A lot of people spend their whole lives denying it and blocking it out 
They become so good at this they don't know what they do
They lose something 

There is nothing pleasant about pain
The only pleasant part of it is the release from it 

It chokes me
It covers my eyes so I can't see
It grows thicker and stickier 
So I can't escape it

It pounds me from all sides and beats me up
I try to lift a foot 
I'm met with an even more brutal whack 

Whack, whack, whack 

And more whack 

Blackness 
The blackest kind of black there is 

And that's when I know I've won
When I can say to pain,
"I see you for all that you are--
You are very, very, very, very, very black"

It doesn't haunt me anymore 
It releases its chokehold on me 

I will never forget it

But it just doesn't haunt me anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment