Monday, August 8, 2016

The Olympics are here!

The Summer Olympics are here! I like them more than the Winter ones.

I'm not a huge Olympics fan and don't know a lot about the sports. I'm not even watching it (we don't have TV at home).

But I like reading articles and clicking through pictures and videos.

Here's what I have to say about it! 


RIO:

-I have mixed feelings here. It pains me to watch the Olympics when I know it's being held in a city where it's causing more pain and damage to its residents, than helping them. I feel like it's almost wrong to be a fan and watcher of the Olympics - why should the city care more about someone like me and cater to me, than its actual residents?

-So far, I haven't heard of anything disastrous happening to visitors in Rio. Hopefully, everything was overhyped.

-I also think having it in Rio is cool too because it's in South America, and feels foreign to me. It's exciting.

-From the pictures of the opening ceremony, I thought it looked nicely done! It was impressive and grand, but not over-the-top. I liked the colorful bicycle riders, the rainforest and environmental theme, the dance party. It looked fun and I saw the city's personality. 

I also learned more about refugees from the refugee team. 

Oh yeah, and who can forget that oiled up flag-bearer guy from Tonga? I did a double-take when I saw his picture.


MY OTHER, RANDOM PROBLEM WITH THE OLYMPICS:

I don't like all the corruption. 

How many doping stories are there? I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg. 

And what about all the coaches that are just in it for their own gain? We all know what goes on behind the scenes in things like women's gymnastics...some of those coaches are openly not nice people. And the gymnasts are so young. 

But there are other good, memorable moments to the Olympics which really capture what they're all about. So I just focus on that.


EVENTS:

The only two events that I actually pay any attention to are swimming and women's artistic gymnastics. 

In swimming, I look forward to hearing how many gold medals the US has won. It's going to happen! Also, I like looking at the men.

In women's gymnastics, I have been informed that we have a strong team, and it looks like it. Cool! Hopefully we win gold again. I'll be following what happens. Hopefully we have some celebrities coming out of this too. It looks like a very racially diverse team. That's pretty cool. I can remember when I was a teenager and the Magnificent Seven won, they became role models and cultural icons. 

I like seeing all the different kinds of sports in the Olympics. I would never hear about them otherwise or know that they were sports. Like shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment