Monday, August 29, 2016


Pie Crust

Yesterday I made a mini apple pie. It's slightly larger than half the size of a regular pie. If you laughed at my picture, that's okay.

I fear making pie crust. Part of the problem with my pie is that since it's a smaller size than a regular pie, I didn't have the exact measurements for pie dough.

For me, making pie crust is taking a shot in the dark. I don't know what I'm doing. It can turn out okay, or not okay. I won't know until I actually bake it and eat it.

So far, I have learned that I need to use very cold water, very cold butter, and basically try to handle the dough as little as possible, while getting it to hold together and be the right shape.

As for the way my pie tastes...it's a success! The pie crust is a little tough and not flaky enough, but the flavor is great!

I also like the filling, and that is largely because I was able to customize it to my liking. It isn't too sweet or syrupy, just the way I like it. The apples I used were very fresh. I like the fruit to crust ratio.

I am no Martha Stewart, but I can say one thing for sure: my pie certainly looks homemade :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment