Tuesday, August 16, 2016

An embarrassing story

One of my coworkers is on maternity leave. She sits in the back, pretty quiet. I don't see her or talk to her unless I happen to bump into her in the kitchen or hallways. I usually just say "hi" to her and maybe a few words after that.

My coworker is a larger woman. She is very tall, and a bit heavyset. 

Now, I'm not the most observant person when it comes to other people's weight. I don't notice when other people seem to lose or gain weight, unless it's really obvious, but I can't even remember the last time that happened. When other people comment on how other people have lost or gained weight, usually I have nothing to say because I didn't notice a thing. 

Should I care more? I don't know. I've just got blinders on.

Anyway, earlier this year we started interviewing for a position in her department. I had no idea what was going on. Was someone leaving?

So I asked her. 

"Hey, we were interviewing for this RMA position. What's going on?"

"Oh," she said, "It's no big deal. We're interviewing for a temp for me."

"Huh?" I responded, clearly confused.

"Why do you need a temp?"

"Oh, it's for my maternity leave." She responded, and then she smiled a little and patted her stomach. "I guess you can't really see through all this. I'm pregnant."

I was mortified; I didn't even want to look down at her stomach. I don't remember exactly when our conversation took place, but she must have been decently into her second trimester.

There was no way I could recover from that, except to pretend like my oversight was no big deal, and to congratulate her. She was gracious about it.

OOPS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment