Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My favorite Bible verses (for the moment)

Wait! If you're not Christian or not into the Bible, don't stop or lose interest yet. 

I think the stuff I'm going to talk about today is relevant for anyone. I think it'll be encouraging/inspiring, and pretty substantive as well. 

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

For me, this verse gives me the encouragement and knowledge that we - ANYONE - can find peace and happiness in ANY situation that we find ourselves in, in life.

But it doesn't happen all of a sudden. 

It's a matter of continually approaching life with the right heart. Intent is key. And not just any intent. Intent to do what we know in our hearts is the right thing - to do good, not bad. Because good and bad, real good and real bad, does exist in the world. 

And if we do this, we will find things better than we could have ever imagined.

Deep, real love
Deep, real joy
Deep, real, peace...

and so on...

And it's *indescribable*.

Next verse (passage) - a really famous one! I'm sure most people have heard it before.
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Okay, quick Frozen reference first. (There are so many things I love about the movie!). 

Here's how Olaf explains love to Anna:

Olaf: Love is putting someone else's needs before yours.

Olaf is awesome because he explains what love is, in the simplest terms. 

I know what Olaf is talking about. I suspect many people do too. Love is about sacrificing ourselves, for someone else. And by the way, it's really, really, really hard. Anyway.

The reason I love the verses above is because they take the simple but deep concept that Olaf talks about, and really expand on it. What does it really mean to put someone before ourselves? We will never stop learning what this truly means. No matter how perfect anyone is, we will never stop struggling to get better at it, to exercise it more fully. 

And in those moments when I find myself at the end of my limits, needing inspiration to do better and be a better person, or needing guidance to teach me what love really is - I look to this passage.

And for me, these verses contain infinite wisdom. They really go into detail about what it means to sacrifice for someone - something I can never fully achieve, so each time I read these verses, really read them, really think about them, with the right attitude...I learn something new. Sometimes, many new things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment