Sunday, July 3, 2016

I've written a number of short stories. Maybe I will write a novel some day, I hope so. I only write when I'm inspired to. The stories are in my soul. I can't create the stories out of thin air or because I want to. They're already there, in my soul, and when I write them, I'm just getting them out.

I write about things I know. The foundations of my stories are about things I've experienced which made a significant impact or impression on me, and that I think have some important, moral meaning in life. It's important to me that my stories have greater purpose than just entertainment; they have to carry a significant message as well (though I try not to be in-your-face about it). My stories have to have a noble purpose if you will, some substance, something in them that hopefully helps humanity to be better.

My stories also capture the things I know about, as I said. Often times, for complex topics or themes or emotions, these things are best presented in story form. Stories often illustrate complex and nuanced concepts better, rather than me writing a straight-up essay.

As I said, the stories just come to me. I don't think them up. I don't know why this is, perhaps it's just the way my brain processes things or just the way my brain works in creating things. I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

With that said, here is the first short story I wrote, as an adult. It's called "The After School Special." It's short and sweet. Hope you like it!

The After School Special

No comments:

Post a Comment