Wednesday, July 6, 2016

I'm feeling less weary than yesterday. It wasn't fun. But it's one of those feelings that passes (I think) if you just keep moving, even if very slowly.

This is a post on dancing. I'll try to explain why I like it. Before I talk about dancing, I always feel this need to preface it by saying how I'm bad at it, I'm just a beginner, etc. I really need to stop that. It doesn't define me. And, maybe I'm not as bad as I think I am. I know by now that I often underestimate myself in things. This is a big step for me!

Anyway, my inner self-therapy talk aside, this is why I like dancing.

Dancing is ALL about expressing your emotions!!! 

Well, you don't have to do it, but you can. Good dancing does. And with a little bit of knowledge of basic technique, anyone can do this. Beginning dancers to advanced dancers. In fact, and this is subjective, I often see a lot of advanced dancers who have great technique, but who aren't so great at being expressive. When they dance, it looks more like an impressive athletic show or impressive, but still kind of boring. So being expressive doesn't depend on skill level.

(But good technique is still important. Having good technique clearly elevates someone's dancing.)

Dancing is just pure emotion. I don't think there are many other outlets in life that allow us to express emotions as fully as dancing does.

Last week, I took a contemporary ballet class randomly and I ended up liking the class. That's a style of dance that I can't figure out how much I like or not (I inherently like all styles of dance by the way; how much I like a style is just relative to other styles). Anyway, the way I think of contemporary ballet is that it's basically like ballet, but set to modern music and some of the moves are more free.

I'm going to go back today and try to EXPRESS myself! Happy, sad, whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment