Monday, June 6, 2016

I've often wondered to myself how I would forgive someone if I was raped. I've never been raped. But I have been through similar, lesser things, which I talked about a few posts ago. Men making vulnerable women feel the most worthless they can be. 

Not all offenses and crimes are equal. I consider rape the worst one of them all, even above murder. I know, I can't go around generalizing these things, but if I had to categorize them, rape would be at the very top of my list.

Rape is all about intentionally psychologically damaging someone, or what that would feel like. It's the most hate crime out there. In terms of intent. And really, isn't that what the heart of crime is all about - intent? That's why rape is at the very top of my list.

I commend every victim that fights against it and speaks out against it and tries to get justice for it. It can't be easy. I applaud them for their strength. Society may not always agree with me - claiming that many women lie about this, or that the crime isn't "really that bad", or that the women even deserved it - and these mindsets all need to change.

But in addition to fighting against rape, how would/does someone go around forgiving the rapist? Forgiveness is just as necessary as justice. I don't think I could do it. But forgiveness is necessary for healing. It always is.

Justice makes us hard; forgiveness makes us soft. We need to be both.

I think, that forgiveness for a rapist, would look something like this:

After putting the rapist in hard prison (hopefully for life with no chance of parole), the victim would sincerely say to the rapist: I wish you the best in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment