Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A few weeks ago, I got dinner with a friend from church that I hadn't seen in years. When we met up, even after all these years, we had a nice time. While we were never super close, we always got along well.

In that time, she had started dating a guy from church and gotten married. I found out recently that she and her husband were going to go to China soon, for an indefinitely long missions trip, but at least for four years.

The purpose of our dinner was mostly so she could tell me about their upcoming ministry activity, and to see if I would be willing to help them (financially, through prayer, or just moral support). But we ended up catching up a lot over dinner too.

I didn't grow up in church, so this is new for me. It's not normal for me to be involved with missions trips in any way. I've never gone on one, and I've never actively supported one. 

After dinner, she left it open-ended. There was no pressure for me to do anything.

I'm twiddling my thumbs. I don't even know what's causing me to be up in the air about this. Just that this is something I've never considered before. If I support them financially, even if it's just a little bit, my heart better be in it.

I like my friend and her husband. But do I believe in what they're doing? I honestly don't know. I don't think it's wrong. But I don't know if I feel so compelled about it that I want to actively support them financially.

Their trip touches on ideas of salvation and evangelism that I don't know what to think of. I don't know what's the best way to go about these things. I don't think about these topics very much, not enough for me to have strong opinions.

And maybe I'm just over-thinking things. Maybe, since I don't have strong opinions either way, but I do feel okay about their trip, I should just give financially...and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment