Monday, May 9, 2016

One of the greatest things I have learned from being in the working/corporate world is just how sucky people can be. I'm not even talking about the really, obvious, evil cases of people. CEO's engaging in fraud, managers engaging in sexual discrimination or abuse, horrible office politics. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that.

But even then, there's still really gross, yucky people, on a lesser scale. And the thing about being in the working world is that I can't shield myself from them. It's not like our friendships, where we can choose who we want to be around and how often. Yes, I can engage in less small talk with these people and interact with them less often (or not at all) socially, depending on what's acceptable at work. But I still can't avoid them altogether, and so much of my time is spent around these people, on some level.


It's not a matter of switching jobs into a work environment I like better either, because I'm realistic enough about this world to know that I would run into this problem wherever I work, most likely. It's just something I have to deal with.


What kinds of people am I talking about exactly? None of them are criminals, or even close to it. They're not evil. They're just people that I don't respect because of their character, in one way or another, and I really dislike seeing them for this reason.


One woman has a nice and welcoming vibe for everyone in the office, but ultimately, she's one of those ladies who gossips and can be REALLY catty/mean. 


One woman, even though she's married with a family, really likes attention from the males here. She is constantly laughing around them, EXTREMELY loudly, as if every day is the funniest day of her life. She can also get really mean if she feels threatened by a pretty and charming woman.


One man can't, for the life of him, stand up for anything that's right, even though he has a lot of power and authority in this office. He's scared, and probably he just doesn't care enough either. He also talks about people behind their backs. But he tries giving off the impression that he's funny and nice, and is probably somewhat successful there, if people don't know him well.


Those are just a few examples. I could pretend like they don't bother me or excuse their behavior, but I would rather be honest with myself about what the world is really like. It's unpleasant, but there's also a certain kind of peace in this too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment