Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I have to be honest. I don't tell people that I'm a receptionist. This is pretty much for anyone that I see. Even for my own parents today, though they figured it out years ago. I tell people I'm an administrative assistant.

There are a few reasons I do this, but the only relevant one now is simply because I don't want people to think I'm a loser.


I'll admit it; I'm ashamed of it myself too for being a receptionist, though I know I shouldn't be. I'm ashamed of myself. I base too much of my self-worth on what I do.


There are a lot of reasons I became a receptionist. But here's a big one, which is in and of itself a sufficient-enough reason: I like it.


I'm not ambitious (defying the typical Silicon Valley persona), I like helping people, and I like appearing friendly. That's it.


I take my job seriously. And I do it well, for the most part.


Yes, it will hurt, what people will think of me when I tell them what I really do, I'm human and I do care. Maybe there are a few special people who will get it, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope - I live in Silicon Valley, after all.


I don't know that I'm strong (because I do get hurt), but maybe it's time now to take the plunge and tell people what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment